Tuesday, June 20, 2006

postal exchange

(Kuwait Towers)


While reading your posts, it reminds me of the same feeling I had when I landed here in Kuwait City. The only difference is that you will see Filipinos almost everywhere, so I don't feel alienated at all; there are no mountains here only mounds of sands but there are beautiful landscapes along the seaside, sculptured trees at the center islands of main roads, white sands along the beach where you can walk anytime on barefoot (showing of some skin are strictly prohibited for women – you'll see them basking under the sun or get sunk in the sea wearing their abayas).

Little by little I've learned a few Arabic words mostly used; sometimes I get the message by their gestures and facial expressions. Kuwait is an open city; expats like me has minimal restriction when it comes to clothing as long as you keep your private parts covered including thighs and arms.

Laws are highly regarded here, ignorance from it will put you behind bars or might as well you will be deported and blacklisted for several months. So to be safe, I stayed at home after work, supermarket during my off days or to Friday market (super laking ukayan at dibisorya in one place) where you can buy second hand stuff – from clothings, shoes (signature ones like Dr. Mortens) to interesting artifacts.

Currently, the weather is tolerable (maybe sanay na ko) the heat is up to 40+ but its dry, dust storms comes if the weather is changing from summer to winter v.v. (another one bites the dust hehehe).